Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Great Blue Heron - January 14, 2008



My old friend Henry, the Blue Heron with a lump in his throat, cannot believe it is me out early on a frosted morning. Herons eat small fish, occasionally they choke on fish too large to swallow. Jesus used small fish to feed a multitude, twice.

John 6:9 There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?
John 6:10 And Jesus said, Make the men sit down. Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand.
John 6:11 And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.
John 6:12 When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost.
John 6:13 Therefore they gathered them together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten.




There were several Herons seen as I walked around the ponds this morning. This one looks like a porter guarding the ducks, perhaps from me, a stranger as they pass by.

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
John 10:2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
John 10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
John 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
John 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.



A River Otter feasts on a bass, as the heron watches from the distance. Who is this ugly rat tailed competitor? There were several Otters in the pond that was once the home of the beavers.

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Mal 3:11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.




A Heron flies from my approach; the friendship is one sided. They nest in trees. Half of their young do not survive the first year. The life span of these Herons is 15 years. They range from Alaska to Mexico and the West Indies. The cold winter mornings bring them closer, perhaps because there are fewer walkers with their barking dogs. I find it hard to get up in the cold to walk, but I am rewarded by doing so. Come on Henry, just one hug? Why do you keep flying away? Perhaps another day?

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home